August 27, 2008

Constitution Day

(This is part of a piece I wrote for my companies newsletter that I wanted to share with all my blogger friends)

On September 17th we will join together as a country to celebrate Constitution Day. Created to honor the timeless principles that govern our country, the purpose of this holiday is to remember the important values that contributed to America’s political foundation and to celebrate our individual freedoms.

As a young girl I traveled to our nation’s capitol and visited the National Archives to view our Constitution and the Declaration of Independence. At the time I failed to appreciate the value of these historic documents but through the years I’ve grown to cherish the battle fought by our Founding Fathers to secure liberties for America and its future generations. Over two hundred years later, the words found within both our Constitution and the Declaration of Independence have found residence in the deepest and dearest parts of our being.

As Gary Palmer, president of the Alabama Policy Institute, noted in a recent column, “One of the urgent challenges facing America today is the need to pass on the essential core knowledge and principles necessary for the next generation to successfully lead our nation.” I believe in the values that shaped our country’s history and recognize the importance of ensuring that they remain in the forefront of all policy debates both at the national and state level.

No comments: