September 7, 2008

The Palin Factor


We are truly living in exciting times. This November we will be given the chance to witness history. For the first time as a nation we will either have a black president or a female vice-president. Several times over the past week I've ask individuals in their 70s and 80s if they ever thought either of these days would come. Most responded with, "Not in my lifetime!"

While the nomination of Governor Palin has brought 'controversy' and excitement, it has also started several needed dialogues about women and their role in both politics and the household. While I am not a mother, yet, I am still concerned with issues like balancing career and home. I know that one day I will be faced with the decision of whether I should stay at home with my children or trust them with a caregiver.

One thing that has angered me about this new debate is the fact that we are told as little girls that "You can do anything you put your mind to!", except have a career AND kids. Then people start to treat us like we are evil and committing some sin against the motherhood gods. Why can't a women have her cake and eat it too? Why do people automatically assume that once a child is born to a couple that the women has to be the one to sacrifice her career?

I can't speak from experience but I hope, when the time comes for me, raising our children will become a partnership between my husband and I. I also want to say that I in no way look down on women who give up their careers for children. In fact, I admire them greatly. Giving up a job and staying home to raise children takes a lot of courage and sacrifice.

As far as women taking on leadership roles, I say more power to them. We need a female voice in politics fighting for issues that effect children, families, and women. If you are thinking of running for office....DO IT! Dont let anyone tell you that being a women will hold you back or effect your ability to serve. If you aren't ready to strap on your walking shoes and start campaigning for office the least you can do it VOTE. VOTE EARLY AND VOTE OFTEN!!!

1 comment:

Jennifer Chronicles (jenx67.com) said...

We now have an economy dependent upon female labor and talent. Hopefully, the dialogue will include the need for archaic personnel policies to be abolished and in their place policies that allow for flexibile work schedules so women or men can have more time to tend to the needs of their families - which don't take vacation between 8 and 5. Great post.