May 14, 2008

Women Who Change the World

There are women who make things better simply by showing up.

There are women who make things happen.

There are women who make their way.

There are women who make a difference.

And women who make us smile!

There are women of wit and wisdom who through strength and courage make it through.

There are women who change the world everyday…women like you.

-Ashley Rice

I know while reading this you began thinking of someone you know who can be described with these words. Perhaps it was yourself.

Last week at my graduation a professor spoke and I first I thought "This lady is crazy and on drugs." But afterwards I began to really understand what she was trying to communicate. She was telling us to go out and do something to make the world a better place.

So I've made it a goal to once a week do something to make someone feel special. I know that once a week is not a lot but you don't realize how much focus it takes until you really set out a goal to do it. I accomplished this goal last night by inviting a new Junior League member to come sit with my friend Kate and I during our meeting. Next thing I know there are four more new members sitting with us and making friends. Now I'm not trying to say "Look at how wonderful I am." All I did was let a girl sit by me. But imagine how you can make someone feel included or more comfortable in a situation just by introducing yourself and inviting them to join you.

No comments: