April 27, 2010

Marilyn’s 30BY30 Challenge Part 1

It was about August of last year that it really hit me that I’d be turning 30 this year! Wow, 30? Already? But it feels like I just celebrated 20 last week. Then I began to wonder. What does one do when they turn 30? Does it mean I have to trade in my high heels for supportive flats? Am I no longer allowed to wear low cut shirts or tight fitting jeans? Do they automatically send me my membership card to the mom jeans club? This is my first time being 30; do they send you an instruction manual?

Once I calmed down and realized that nothing was really going to change I began to contemplate how I would handle such a monumental birthday. Should I have a big blow out party? Cut off all my hair and dye it blond? Get a tattoo? Slow down, it’s too early for a midlife crisis. How about I do something challenging that would make me a better person?

At the time I was already in the midst of a weight loss mission but didn’t really have a goal that I was working towards. So I thought, ‘I’m going to loose 30 pounds for my 30th birthday!’ Not only would I be healthier, I’d overcome a huge challenge. Before starting my weight loss I was the kind of girl who ate ice cream sundaes for lunch and cupcakes two at a time but couldn’t figure out why I was gaining so much weight. Food was a crutch for me and something I used to curb anxiety and stress. If I kept up my old eating habits I would have easily topped 250 pounds by my 40th birthday. For someone whose father died in his 30’s from a heart attack I should have known better.

This challenge proved to me more successful that I thought. Not only did I get my husband eating better and exercising (he’s lost 70 pounds), but I met my goal by April 2010. 7 months early! I remember standing on the scale celebrating my success but then thinking, ‘Now what?’ Getting that high from stepping on the scale every week and seeing my success was addictive and I wanted something else to do. So I sat down and created 2 more lists of goals for me to work towards before my 30th birthday in November.

The first is I WILL DONATE 30 HOURS TO A NON-PROFIT. I’ve always loved volunteering and hope that this will give me the chance to experience some new non-profits in my community. There are a couple of rules. 1) I can only donate a max of 5 hours per charity; 2) It has to be a 501(c) 3; 3) I can’t do something that I’m getting paid for; and, 4) it can’t be for the American Heart Association. So if anyone knows of volunteer opportunities out there send them my way!!

(You didn’t think I was going to share it all with you in one post? Come back tomorrow for part 2 of my 30by30 challenge.)

No comments: